Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Leg Workout for the Gym

Team - Take this workout to your local gym to help build leg strength and endurance.

As you know, I teach group fitness classes all the time! Sometimes I push my body to teach 10+ classes a week, along side my regular daytime job.  Some classes I do not go all out, but Kickboxing or Spinning classes are very demanding.  Both mentally physically.

Today, I had the luxury of exercising at my local gym with my Awesome Workout Playlist. It was a nice change of pace for me and I would love to share it with you. So here goes!


Jonathon's Leg Workout (Perform each exercise 3 times - one minute rest between exercises/sets)


Start you leg workout with Cardio:

  1. 5 minute walking pace to warm up the body
  2. 7 minutes at a high, or the highest, incline and an aggressive pace
  3. 6 minutes at a high speed with no incline
  4. 2 minutes at your walking pace to cool down

Move to strength and endurance:

  1. Weighted Lunges (8x/leg)
    • Grab heavier weights and lunge one leg in forward, keeping the knee directly above the ankle, push off the front leg to the starting position.  Repeat on the other leg.
  2. Jump squats in place (1 minute)
  3. Weighted Calf Raises
    • Today I used a step bench to elevate my heels, but feel free to stand on a couple 45lb plates.
  4. Split Barbell Lunge (10x/leg)
    • Barbell on the ground, straddle it with your lunge, lunge up and down with your barbell.
  5. Stability Ball Hamstring Curls (1 minute)
    • Heels on the ball, bottom raised, curl the heels in.



It was an awesome workout!  It was nice to complete an entire workout with talking, something very rare for me *smile.

This workout was the perfect combination of everything I enjoy.  A little bit of this and a little bit of that.  Made me think of my favorite quote:

"If we could giver every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health." - Hippocrates

Smile and exercise - it'll make you feel better!

0 - Leave a Comment:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...